On March 8, NatureServe will host a pair of events at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., to commemorate our ten-year anniversary and celebrate our network’s nearly four decades of achievement and leadership in conservation science. I’d like to invite you to join us for either or both of these gatherings. In “Okay, Now What?” A Panel on Climate Change Adaptation, leading experts will outline the challenges that a changing climate presents for biodiversity, conservation science, policy, investment, and management in the coming decades. NatureServe President and CEO Mary Klein will moderate the panel’s discussion as they tackle such questions as:
- What have we learned about climate-induced impacts?
- How has our thinking about protecting lands, waters, and species changed?
- Are we heading in the right direction?
Confirmed participants currently include:
- Jeff Marqusee—Executive Director, Strategic Environmental Research and Development Program (SERDP), and Director, Environmental Security Technology Certification Program (ESTCP)
- Lynn Scarlett—former Deputy Secretary and Chief Operating Officer of the U.S. Department of the Interior, now a Visiting Scholar at Resources for the Future
- Jorgen Thomsen—Director of Conservation & Sustainable Development, MacArthur Foundation
Immediately following the panel, we will host a 10th Anniversary Reception with E.O. Wilson. Our special guest is one of the most accomplished intellectuals of our time—a scientist and thinker whose ideas have shaped disciplines like conservation science, population genetics, and chemical ecology, and who pioneered concepts like sociobiology, biodiversity, and biophilia. As a two-time Pulitzer Prize winning author, Wilson has enlarged his scientific achievements through his eloquence on topics including the nature of evolution, culture, and knowledge.
Learn about the March 8 events here:
Meanwhile, mark your calendar, plan to join us, and do us the favor of responding online:
NatureServe’s 10th Anniversary Celebration
March 8, 2011
4:00 p.m.–5:30 p.m. Okay, Now What? A Panel on Climate Change Adaptation
6:00 p.m.–8:30 p.m. 10th Anniversary Reception with E.O. Wilson
National Press Club
529 14th St. NW, 13th Floor
Washington, DC 20045
Have questions? Need more information? Contact Peter Toto at (703) 908-1841 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.