Club Meeting: Wednesday, Nov 2, 2011 7:45 PM
The regular monthly meeting of the MSDC will take place as noted above. We meet at 7:45 PM in the lobby of the Smithsonian Natural History Museum.
Program and Speaker:
November 2, 2011, Program Title: “Meteorites at the Smithsonian – Collection, Classification, Curation and Investigation”
Presenter: Dr. Cari Corrigan, Mineral Sciences Department.
Dr. Corrigan will provide a broad overview of the Department’s meteorite collection and also give particular attention to the Lorton VA meteorite which arrived on the
evening of 18 January 2010. The Smithsonian acquired the specimens and intends to display a portion of the meteorite and make some available for research purposes. Come learn about the astronomical mysteries which this and other meteorites can tell us.
Place: The National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, 10th Street and Constitution Ave, Washington D.C. We will gather at the Constitution Avenue entrance at 7:45 PM to meet our guard who will escort us to the Cathy Kirby room. If you park on the street, THERE ARE NOW PARKING FEES, PAYABLE AT THE KIOSKS, AND ENFORCEMENT UNTIL 10 PM.
Dinner: Some of us will meet for dinner at the Pier 7 Restaurant at 6:00 PM for dinner before the club meeting. Give call Susan Fisher, 703-830-9733 so she can make reservations if you wish to attend.
- 17th Technical Forum for Geohazards Impacting Transportation in Appalachia
- Carnegie science: Dr. Diana Roman – When the Volcano Stirs
- May meeting of the Paleontological Society of Washington
- AAAS: Coles on Climate Change & the Chesapeake Bay
- Q?Rius panel discussion on religion and evolution in the classroom
- USGS: Martinez on energy resource impacts
- UMD Geology: Zhang on Fe-Ni-S-C Liquid in the Earth’s Mantle
- UMD: Viete on metamorphism as earthquake record
- Technical Forum for Geohazards Impacting Transportation in Appalachia